One hundred twenty-seven athletes are set to paddle this weekend at Canoe Kayak BC’s U16+ Provincial Championships and the Alliance Traffic Group BC Cup #2. This two-day event takes place on Shumway Lake outside of Kamloops from July 16 to 17.
U16+ Provincial Championships
In addition to paddling for provincial titles, the athletes are also looking to secure their spots to the Canadian National Championships. The top four in each race, except for the 6000m which is top five, will qualify to Team BC for the nationals in Dartmouth, NS from August 30 to September 4.
The 2017 Canada Summer Games long list squad will also be selected following the competition. Up to 16 females (8 kayakers/8 canoers) and 16 males (8 kayakers/8 canoers) may be selected. These athletes will be identified based on their performances in singles and will be invited to attend a camp in the fall and other CKBC events leading into the 2017 season.
Alliance Traffic Group BC Cup #2
The Alliance Traffic Group BC Cup #2 is the second race in the BC Cup Series. The event is aimed at providing developmentally appropriate competition for paddlers who are 11 to 15 years old and novice athletes. Athletes race one short and long distance in a variety of boats (singles and crews).
- Chinook Racing Canoe Club (CRCC)
- Nanaimo Canoe and Kayak Club (NCKC)
- Pemberton Canoe Association (PCA)
- False Creek Racing Canoe Club (FCRCC)
- Burnaby Canoe and Kayak Club (BCKC)
- Fort Langley Canoe Club (FLCC)
- Ridge Canoe and Kayak Club
- Pitt Meadows Paddling Club
- Kamloops Canoe and Kayak Club (KCKC)
- Nelson Kayak and Canoe Club (NKCC)
- Gig Harbor Canoe and Kayak Racing Team (GHCKRT)