Canoe Kayak BC is gearing up for the 2018 BC Summer Games in the Cowichan Valley and is seeking Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches for each of the Zone Teams.
Since 1978, the BC Games Society has been staging the BC Summer and Winter Games. The purpose of these Games is, “To provide an opportunity for the development of athletes, coaches and officials in preparation for higher levels of competition in a multi-sport event which promotes interest and participation in sport and sporting activities, individual and community development.”
In our fourth appearance after a 12-year absence from the Games, canoeing is excited about participating on Lake Cowichan.
Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches needed
In the preparation of athletes to participate, Canoe Kayak BC requires Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches for the following zone teams:
- Zone 1: Kootenays
- Zone 2: Thompson/Okanagan
- Zone 3: Fraser Valley
- Zone 4: Fraser River/Delta
- Zone 5: Vancouver/Squamish
- Zone 6: Vancouver Island/Central coach
- Zone 7: North West
- Zone 8: Cariboo/North East
Details of the communities that fall into each of the zones can be found here on the BC Games website.
Requirements and expectations
- All Head Coaches for the 2018 Games must have NCCP Entry Level Competitive Coach
CERTIFIED or higher coaching education.
- Assistant coaches must be NCCP CanoeKids “trained” and have completed the online MED.
- In addition to coaching duties, Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches are expected to travel with their athletes on BC Games transportation (all teams traveling by bus will be on the first ferry on July 23), stay with them in BC Games accommodation, and supervise them throughout the BC Games.
- Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches are expected to act in a supervisory capacity travelling to, from and at the Games to ensure that their athletes adhere to the BC Games General Rules, the sport-specific rules, and the Code of Conduct. Coaches must also abide by the Coaches Code of Conduct.
- Interested individuals should submit their application to Canoe Kayak BC at email@example.com by Monday, January 15, 2018.
- A detailed Job Description and Application form are available.