Canoe Kayak BC is hosting the Aboriginal Coaching Module on May 11 at the Fortius Athlete Development Centre. This FREE workshop is a great opportunity for ALL instructors and coaches!
The Aboriginal Coaching Module is a professional development training tool for Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal coaches, who coach Aboriginal athletes, as they become certified through the NCCP.
The material in the ACM has been developed to meet the following learning objectives:
- Understanding the role of sport in Aboriginal communities;
- Understanding and positively influencing the community in which you coach;
- Coaching the whole person; coaching beyond the physical to include the mental (intellectual and emotional), spiritual and cultural;
- Responding to racism in sport;
- Establishing a code of behaviour for your team that respects differences and addresses racism;
- Helping those you coach make healthy lifestlye choices.
The course consists of three modules:
Holistic Approach to Coaching encompasses a holistic approach to coaching which includes topics such as creating a positive environment, the Medicine Wheel, a coaching perspective: physical, mental, emotional, intellectual, cultural, and spiritual aspects, values (the Four Pillars), coach-to-community relationships.
Dealing with Racism in Sport encompasses issues on dealing with racism in sport including definitions that may be useful in the discussion of racism and knowing when to use the right word to describe what is happening in a certain situation, i.e. discrimination, racism, prejudice, stereotype, systemic discrimination. It also discusses how to respond to racism and the three choices of response, examples of coaches’ responses, organizational responses to racism, creating a positive environment, and coach-to-family relationships.
Individual and Community Health and Wellness encompasses topics on lifestyle, health, and nutrition, and how to be familiar with the unique lifestyle, health situations, and challenges that Aboriginal youth may face. Topics in this chapter include: understanding the community where you coach, mental health, personal and community health practices, diet and nutrition, health conditions and diseases, and influencing change.su
- Cost: Free
- Registration deadline: Sunday, May 6 (on-line registration by this date is mandatory)
- Course includes: Resource materials and lunch