Team BC’s paddlers brought home 53 medals from the 2017 North American Indigenous Games in Toronto last week. Their impressive results helped Team BC to win the Overall Team title at the end of Games.
During the three days of competition, Team BC earned 21 gold medals, 11 silver medals and 21 bronze medals. Among Team BC’s top medal winners were:
- Monique Seanez (14U, Saanichton): 3 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze
- Silas Wilson (14U, Nanaimo): 1 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze
- Breanna Seymour (16U Stz’uminus): 3 gold, 1 bronze
- Jordana Seymour (19U Stz’uminus): 1 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze
- Ivan Morris (19U, Port Renfrew): 1 silver, 3 bronze
- Michael Wyse (19U, Nanaimo): 4 gold, 2 silver
- Trey Gray-Thorne (19U, Duncan): 1 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze
- Brandyn Chappell (19U, Chilliwack): 4 gold
In the Overall Team competition, Team BC competed in 13 sports and won a total of 176 medals (65 gold, 57 Silver, 54 bronze) over the course of the competition week. This put the team in first place, 12 medals ahead of Team Saskatchewan. This is the second time BC has won the Overall Team Title at the NAIG, after winning the award at the 2014 NAIG in Regina, Saskatchewan.